- Essential maintenance work on Grimsby’s gas pipes starts tomorrow (10 February)
- Road and lane closures needed to keep people safe
- Work to take place in school holidays to reduce inconvenience
Local gas network Cadent is reminding Grimsby residents that essential maintenance work on the town’s gas network is due to start tomorrow (10 February).
Engineers will be checking valves and renewing fittings on pipes in the junction of Hainton Avenue and Granville Street. Work starts tomorrow (10 February) for one week.
To minimise inconvenience this work will take place during February half-term. The valve is in the centre of the junction. To carry out the work safely, the following road closures will be in place:
- Hainton Avenue will be closed to through traffic from Wellholme Road to Patrick Street.
- Granville Street will be closed between Heneage Road and Hainton Avenue and there will be no access from Granville Street into Hainton Avenue.
- Access will be maintained for residents within the road closure at all times
- There will be a diversion for through traffic route via Wellholme Road, Peaks Parkway and Weelsby Road.
Cadent Network Supervisor John Dixon explained: “The gas pipes beneath the streets of Grimsby deliver gas safely, day and night, so people can heat their homes and fuel their businesses.
“We have valves on these pipes so that we can lower the pressures or stop the flow of gas if there is an emergency, such as a major gas leak. This work will make sure that we keep these valves in good working order and maintain a safe network.
“Unfortunately all these valves are under busy roads. To minimise the inconvenience the work will take place in the February half-term and Easter holidays. We’ll also be using new technology to speed up the work. A vacuum excavator will suck the ground out of our excavations, which is quicker than digging.”
People can get updates and find out more information on Facebook – facebook.com/grimsbyupgrade.
If people have any queries or concerns they can also contact Cadent’s customer service team on 0345 835 1111.