Your privacy matters to us and we go to great lengths to protect it - so whether you are new to us, or have been with us for longer, please do take some time to get to know how we work. If you do not understand some of the terms we have used or you have any questions, then please contact us and we will do our very best to assist you.
Before we start, we need to tell you that Cadent Gas Ltd of Ashbrook Court, Central Boulevard, Prologis Park, Coventry CV7 8PE is a data controller. This means that we are responsible for both choosing the type of data we use, and how we are going to use it in the running of our business.
We are obliged to register with the Information Commissioner’s Office, which we have done and they have given us a registration number of ZA195116 and we have the company number 10080864. We can be contacted via the contact details listed at the end of this document.
This notice explains:
When we may collect information from you
- when we may collect information from you
- what information we collect
- why we collect it
- how we use that information
- how long we keep that information for
- the choices we offer, including how to access and update that information.
What information may we collect from you?
- When you contact us by telephone, email or write to us.
- When you complete an on-line survey, or register for services or other information.
- When you contact us via social media, or take advantage of any chat room, notice board or other social networking facilities.
- When you speak to one of our employees, contractors or sub-contractors in person.
- When you, or your employer, is entering into a commercial contract, or otherwise engaging with us for a business or similar purpose.
- When you are, or have been, an employee.
- When you apply for a job with us.
What information may we collect from your electronic device?
- You will generally give us your name and address, your property details, your email address and telephone number.
- You may also provide us with these details for anyone who is dependent and/or living with you, or for anyone on whose behalf you are calling.
- You may provide us with any details in connection with an enquiry or complaint.
- You may provide us with details of an emergency or an enquiry and you will provide answers to questions that may be asked of you.
- You may provide us with information in response to a survey or enter into a conversation on-line using social media.
- If you work for us or on our behalf please review our examples of personal information we may collect in relation to an employee, contractor or sub-contractor.
Information others may provide to us?
- Our website uses a mechanism called “cookies”. Cookies record your details and your preferences so that when you log on to the website, you can use that website without having to re-enter your information every time you do so. If you need more information on how cookies work in detail, or if you do not wish us to collect information from your device in this way please review our information on Cookies and Social Media for more details.
- When you visit our web site, our computer system may track information about your visit. This information is automatically saved by our computer servers and the information is saved electronically. For more details please review our information on Cookies and Social Media.
- If you work for us or on our behalf any electronic device used in the course of your work may store or communicate with us information put into it.
How may we use the information we collect?
- People contacting us by telephone, email, by letter or by using social media may provide us with your personal information.
- Members of the public may provide our employees, contractors and sub-contractors with your personal information.
- Other businesses may supply us with your personal information.
- We may be provided with your personal information by regulators, and the Courts within the terms of their data privacy obligation.
Who may have access to your personal information?
- To respond to and deal with an emergency.
- To respond to and deal with an enquiry or complaint.
- To provide the services you have requested as far as we are able.
- To keep records so that we can ensure we have provided the appropriate level of service to you.
- To keep records in accordance with the law, regulations or our licence from Ofgem.
- Where you work for us in any capacity the personal data we gather may be used for purposes connected to your employment.
- To fulfil our legal obligations under any commercial contract.
- To gain feedback on the services we provide to you.
How long do we keep your personal information?
- Those employees or approved contractors and sub-subcontractors who need to know your personal information for the reasons set out above.
- Those employees or approved contractors or sub-contractors who need to know your personal information for the purposes of record keeping in accordance with the law, regulations or in accordance with our licence from Ofgem.
- We may sometimes be required to disclose your personal information to third parties such as local authorities, courts and tribunals, regulatory bodies and/or law enforcement agencies for the purpose of complying with applicable laws and regulations, or in response to legal processes.
- We may sometimes need to share your details such as a meter number with your supplier or another industry body in order to process a request.
- If you ask us to register yourself on a Priority Services Register, we will share details gathered from you with that Register, which can be accessed by other utility companies.
- We will also share your personal information with third parties if we have your consent, or to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of you, our employees, contractors or sub-contractors, job applicants or the public or as otherwise required by law.
- Those employees or approved contractors or sub-contractors who need to know your personal information for the purposes connected to your employment.
- Where you work for us then please examples of personal information we may collect in relation to an employee, contractor or sub-contract.
How to access and obtain, rectify and/or erase your data, restrict or object to a further processing of your data
- We keep your personal information only for as long as we believe it necessary to fulfil the purpose for which that personal information was collected, unless we are required to, or are permitted to keep it for longer in law.
- In some circumstances, some of the information may be made anonymous so that it cannot be associated with you and you cannot be identified from it. For example, if we were to keep track of the numbers of people who called to compliment us, we would erase the details of who or where that information came from.
How is my personal information protected?
- There may be circumstances where you wish to access and obtain details of your personal data held by us – if so then please contact the Data Protection Officer in writing using the contact details set out below.
- It is important that the information we have in our records is both accurate and current. If your personal information changes, please keep us informed.
- We hold personal data in a combination of secure computer systems and paper-based files.
- We have security procedures in place to protect the personal data it holds from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- To achieve this we use a number of processes to protect your personal data as appropriate including:
- locks and security systems;
- computer passwords
- limited access to shared network drives to authorised staff;
- virus checking
- firewalls and other ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ computer defences;
- auditing procedures and data integrity checks;
- recording of file movements;
- security classification to identify data needing special protection;
- encryption, pseudonymisation and anonymisation.
Some personal data may be stored in a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or on our behalf. Where the law in the other countries is less protective than ours here in the UK, we will ensure that your privacy rights are respected and your personal information protected.
- Where you use any chat room, notice board or social networking site, please be careful about giving out information about yourself or others. For more details on how we deal with misuse please Click Here
- The Data Protection Officer, Cadent Gas Ltd, Ashbrook Court, Central Boulevard, Prologis Park, Coventry CV7 8PE
- Or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note that this notice may be changed from time to time. The version of this notice is identified by the date shown below
15th February 2019