- Ageing gas main on the A630 Doncaster Road, Thrybergh, Rotherham to be replaced
- Temporary traffic lights and road closure in place to keep colleagues and road-users safe
- Project will replace pipe with leakage history
South Yorkshire gas distributor Cadent will be starting essential work on 1 June to renew an ageing gas main on the A630 Doncaster Road, Thrybergh, Rotherham.
Work will take place from the junction of Oldgate Lane to the junction of Poplar Avenue and is expected to take 16 weeks. Engineers will be replacing an ageing iron gas main – believed to date back to the 1950s - with tough, hard-wearing plastic pipe that will last until at least the end of the century.
The medium pressure pipe has undergone a series of repairs in recent years, resulting in disruption for drivers. This work will prevent any similar problems in the future.
To carry out the work safely, the following traffic management measures will be needed:
- Oldgate Lane will be temporarily closed to through traffic from 8 June to 21 September. Access will be maintained for residents.
- There will be temporary traffic lights at the junction of Doncaster Road and Oldgate Lane throughout the project.
- The bus lane, bus stops and zebra crossing near the junction of Doncaster Road and Oldgate Lane will be suspended while the work is underway.
The safety and well-being of customers and colleagues is Cadent’s number one priority. Colleagues will observe social distancing from the public and this work will not require engineers to enter anyone’s homes.
Paul Martin, Cadent Authorising Engineer, said: “Our job is to keep the gas flowing to homes, vital public services, and businesses. This pipe is nearing the end of its life and needs replacing. Once the new pipe is in the ground it will ensure safe and reliable gas supplies for local people for decades to come.
“The work is being started while Covid-19 restrictions are in place to minimise disruption on businesses and traffic. We would like to thank people for their patience while the work is carried out. Every effort will be made to complete this project as soon as possible.”
If anyone has any questions about this work, they should contact the customer service team on 0800 151 2404.