Innovation is all about doing things differently to benefit our customers and improve our efficiency. By embracing innovation, we can find the most up-to-date tools and techniques to keep the gas flowing.
That’s a vision we share with our partners in the gas industry, which is why we were delighted to take part in the very first Gas Innovation Showcase at Utility Week Live 2019 at the NEC, Birmingham.
Months of planning went into a spectacular shared stand with our fellow gas distribution networks Wales & West Utilities, Northern Gas Networks and SGN, along with gas transmission experts from National Grid.
Across two days, we welcomed an enthusiastic range of visitors to the Gas Innovation Showcase stand to discuss our gas network innovation strategy and the projects through which we aim to deliver our customers’ future energy needs – all while maintaining the safety, security and affordability of heat.
Our teams also embraced the opportunity to take to the stage and offer audiences a deeper insight into the projects we’re most excited about. I’d like to say a special thank you to our Cadent speakers:
- Lorna Millington gave two fascinating talks on decarbonisation of the gas networks, and the key role we’re playing in delivering a hydrogen blend as an alternative to natural gas.
- Jeff O’Donnell, together with our technology partners, gave an insight into how Phased Array is revolutionising the way we detect underground cables.
- Gulraj Chatha did a brilliant job as Chair of a reliability and maintenance innovation session, introducing our innovation strategy, the key themes of the session and the guest speakers.
- Vishal Dhanji brought to life how SMARTester Bluetooth technology can drastically change the way we conduct pressure testing as part of our mains replacement work.
- David Jones provided some tremendous insights into how hydrogen is becoming the fuel of choice for our heavy transport sectors and ensuring a clean air future for customers.
The Gas Innovation Showcase was a fantastic example of all UK gas networks pulling together to share our collective successes with counterparts in the utilities sector and supply chain. After a tremendous experience and a lot of valued engagement, we can’t wait to do it all over again next year!
Rob Mitchell, Operations Innovation Manager