Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service (DFRS) and National Grid are working in partnership to raise awareness of the deadly dangers associated with carbon monoxide gas.
National Grid has supplied DFRS with over a thousand carbon monoxide alarms, 500 smoke alarm testing sticks and information leaflets for Community Safety Officers and Firefighters to give out during Safe and Well visits. Safe and Well visits see Community Safety Officers and Firefighters give fire prevention advice to residents. The visits target those most at risk, including elderly people and families with young children.
DFRS Prevention and Inclusion Group Manager Mat Lee said: “Carbon Monoxide poisoning is potentially fatal and even inhaling low-levels of the gas can cause lasting damage to your health.
“Firefighters and Community Safety Officers work hard to help prevent carbon monoxide poisonings from occurring, especially amongst those who are deemed more vulnerable. With the help of National Grid, the Service hopes to further raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide gas and prevent deaths and injuries from happening across Derbyshire.”
Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it can’t be seen, smelt or tasted. Therefore, it is paramount that people are made aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide, so measures can be put in place to prevent instances from occurring.
Philip Burrows, Stakeholder Implementation Manager for National Grid, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning kills around 40 people every year across the country with a further 4,000 people being admitted to hospital with poisoning symptoms, but this can easily be prevented.
“We are delighted to be working with Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service to make Derbyshire residents safer. Through this initiative more people across the county will become aware of the dangers, take action to make their homes safer and share that knowledge with their friends and families.”
National Grid is running similar schemes with nine other fire and rescue services as part of its drive to cut deaths and injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Since launching the schemes, National Grid has found a 50% rise in carbon monoxide awareness among householders receiving a fire service visit. 74% of people said they would take further action.
This includes getting their gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer every year, buying a carbon monoxide alarm and seeking medical advice if they experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In addition, 77% said they would share their new knowledge of Carbon Monoxide poisoning prevention with family and friends
Mr Burrows went on to say, “We’ve already had success through similar schemes with other fire and rescue services and we’re hoping that this will be mirrored in Derbyshire.”
For more information about gas safety and Carbon Monoxide poisoning visit www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Safety/Carbon-Monoxide/
For more information on general fire safety visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk