Message from Steve Fraser, Chief Executive Officer
I want to reassure you all that the safety of our customers and colleagues is our number one priority. The service we deliver is vital to keep you, our customers, safe, warm and connected in your homes and businesses. During this difficult and challenging time for the UK, we are doing all we can to ensure that all our customers, especially those in vulnerable situations, continue to receive the services they need.
As the largest gas distribution network in the UK, it is important to me to offer you reassurance that we are continuing to deliver safe and reliable gas supplies and to operate the gas emergency service for our 11 million customers across the North West, the Midlands, East of England and North London. This requires us to continue to maintain, upgrade and repair our network of pipes, which at times requires us to enter your home or business. We are following guidance from the Government and putting extra safety precautions in place.
We will continue to monitor the situation and update our guidance and working practices accordingly."
We have extra safety precautions in place to keep our customers and engineers safe at this challenging time. For more information, please watch our video below:
If we need to visit your home, we will need to ask you some extra questions:
- Is there anyone in your property with a confirmed case of Coronavirus?
- Are you or anyone else in the property in self-isolation on medical advice or following contact with someone who has the virus?
Please don’t worry about these questions - we will still come out to you. If the answer to either of these questions is ‘yes’, we will need to take the following measures so that we can keep you, our colleagues and other people safe:
- We will ask that the people in the property stay in a separate room from the engineer while he or she carries out essential work or safety checks. For example, stay in a room where there are no gas appliances or the gas meter.
- Please open the windows in the room where the engineer will be working.
- Our engineer will wear protective clothing as a precaution.
- Once our engineer has finished their work and leaves, they will remove the gloves, dispose of them safely and then thoroughly wash their hands before going to the next property.
We will continue to provide regular updates via our Facebook and Twitter feeds and here on our website.