- Seven-week gas pipe upgrade this summer
- Work will keep gas flowing to businesses and homes until the end of the century
- Project is part of a £65 million investment in the West Midlands gas network this year
July marks the start of an essential gas mains upgrade in Regent Street, Leamington, that will keep gas supplies flowing to businesses and homes until the end of the century.
In a seven-week project, Cadent – the local gas distribution network – will be renewing nearly half a kilometre of gas pipes in Regent Street between Portland Street and the Parade, and then between Park Street and Regent Grove.
Work starts on 17 July. The existing iron gas mains will be replaced with tough, durable plastic pipes that will last at least 80 years.
To keep engineers and road-users safe, temporary traffic lights, lane closures and junction closures will be needed while the work is underway.
Steve Murray, who heads up Cadent’s gas mains replacement programme in the West Midlands region, said: “Our job is to connect people to the energy they use. We’re upgrading these gas pipes so people can continue to enjoy safe and reliable gas supplies for decades to come. We have been working with the local highways authority to keep disruption to a minimum but we would urge people to bear with us while we carry out this essential project.
“All businesses will be open as usual and access will be maintained. If any businesses or residents have queries about the work, for example, about deliveries, please contact us on 0161 703 1000.”
This project is part of Cadent’s £65 million programme to renew 370kms of gas pipes in the West Midlands this year, ensuring gas supplies continue to reach 2 million homes and businesses in the region.
The work will be carried out in phases, starting at the junction with Portland Street and working towards the Parade.
- Phase 1 is estimated to take a week. During this phase there will be temporary traffic lights at the junction of Regent Street and Portland Street.
- Phase 2 is estimated to take a week. One lane will be closed in Windsor Street at the junction with Regent Street and parking spaces on one side of Windsor Street will be suspended.
- Phase 3 is estimated to take a week. During this phase the junction of Regent Road and Bedford Street will be closed. Signed diversion routes will be in place, with all diversion routes suitable for HGVs. Some parking spaces in Regent Street will be suspended.
- During phase 4 the existing traffic lights at the junction of Regent Street and the Parade will be replaced with temporary traffic lights. Parking spaces in Regent Street, between Bedford Street and the Parade, will be suspended. This phase is expected to take one week.
- Phases 5 and 6 will see gas mains renewed between Park Street and Regent Grove. Work is estimated to take three weeks. During this time the junction of Regent Street and Park Street will be closed. Park Street will be made two-way. Traffic will need to enter and leave Park Street through Warwick Street.
Drivers will continue to be able to access the Royal Priors car park as usual. Parking spaces on Regent Street, between Park Street and Regent Grove, will be suspended. There will be ‘give and take’ access for traffic in Kenilworth Street.
Traffic flow on Regent Street will be maintained as usual. Access to disabled parking bays will be maintained.
All Cadent engineers carry official identity cards, which people should ask to see before allowing them on their property. To verify an engineer’s identity or for any enquiries about the project people should contact Cadent customer services team on 0161 703 1000.
To find out more about Cadent‘s gas mains replacement work go to www.bettergaspipes.co.uk