As the result of the gas escape and fire in Holme Lane, Rawtenstall, today (22 December 2008) we have had to turn off the gas supply to the local area for safety reasons. There will be no gas for anyone to use - individuals, homes, businesses are all affected.
If you currently have no gas please do the following:
•Turn off all your gas appliances and equipment
•Turn off your gas supply at the meter NOW - this will enable the gas to be reconnected more quickly when it is safe to do so.
•Do not use gas again until you have been told it is safe to do so - you will be told when it is safe to use your gas supply again.
•Please be a good neighbour and pass this information on to your friends, neighbours and relatives.
•Please tune into the local radio and TV stations for the latest news
Gas engineers will be calling on all affected properties. Please remember to ask for identification before allowing anyone into your home.
If you still have gas you do not need to take any action.
National Grid apologises for any inconvenience and is making every effort to restore gas supplies as soon as possible. However, we may not be able to restore all supplies before Christmas Day.
The safety of local people is our top priority. We are working with the local authority to identify people who need special help. We are appealing to people to be good neighbours and check on those they know to be elderly or infirm.
If people need assistance they should contact 0800 111 999.
Notes to editors - archive
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. This accolade acknowledges all of our efforts in getting involve with the things that really matter to us and to society. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry - 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.