An introduction for children on the dangers of carbon monoxide
Every year in England and Wales, there are around 40 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is commonly known as the hidden danger because you can’t see, hear, smell taste or touch it. It can come from the appliances that many of us use to heat our homes and cook our food.
We believe that educating children from a young age on the dangers of carbon monoxide is extremely important and is why we have worked with The Katie Haines Memorial Trust
to develop a 15 minute film, suitable for all ages, for you to use in your school assembly.
It features Safety Seymour
and The CO Crew
, who will introduce the children of your school to the dangers of carbon monoxide. They will tell your pupils about all the things you can do to identify when carbon monoxide may be in your home, and the steps you can take to keep yourself and those around you safe!
Watch the trailer to get a taster of what you will see.
The assembly will take around 20 minutes in total and will require an internet connected large screen and projector or smartboard in the school hall. We will also provide you with an informational letter which is to be shared with parents prior to the assembly taking place.
If you are interested in using our assembly in your school, please fill in your details below and we will send you details on how you can access it.
The Katie Haines Memorial Trust
Katie Haines (nee Samuel) was born on 31 January 1979
and married Richard Haines on 12 December 2009 in a fairy-tale wedding. On 18 February 2010, shortly after returning from honeymoon and before she’d a chance to enjoy married life, she died tragically of accidental Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning at her home. Richard was poisoned while trying to resuscitate her but fortunately survived. The Katie Haines Memorial Trust was founded to promote awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, and to prevent any other family from having to go through the pain of losing a loved one. The Trust recognises the importance of teaching children about the dangers of CO as this awareness will stay with them for life.
Find out more about the work they do here