1 incidents
    Loss of gas – Ingham 10 Jul 2024 12: 30 PM
    CMS.ContentEngine.ContentItemAssetMetadata

    Be CO savvy this summer

    The danger of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is often associated with the winter months, but you can be at risk any time of year, even in the heart of summer. Make sure you know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. You can find out more about carbon monoxide and the dangers here

    Carbon monoxide doesn't just pose a danger in the home. There are an increasing number of carbon monoxide related incidents that happen outside the home. Vehicles, including boats, produce carbon monoxide and fuel-burning equipment such as camping stoves, camping heaters, lanterns, charcoal grills and disposable barbecues are also sources of carbon monoxide.

    So if you're planning a BBQ or going away this summer, whether you're camping and caravanning, staying in a hotel or cottage or going abroad, you are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    CAD-001-Cadent-CO-BBQ-SOCIAL-Static-1x1-(1080x1080)-v1.jpg

    BBQs produce carbon monoxide even when they are working well and can continue to give off deadly carbon monoxide for hours after being extinguished.

    Whether you are having a BBQ at home or on holiday it is essential to take care and make sure they are only used in properly ventilated area.

    BBQ carbon monoxide safety tips

    • NEVER use a BBQ inside, whether this is your home, a tent, awning or any enclosed area.
    • NEVER use a BBQ inside to keep you warm. 
    • ALWAYS use your BBQ in an open area that has plenty of ventilation, far away from tents or other sleeping areas.
    • REMEMBER BBQs can emit carbon monoxide even after they've gone out.
    • You CAN'T see, smell or taste CO, but carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, breathlessness, unconsciousness and even death.

    If you are using an LPG BBQ, you should also:

    • Make sure your equipment is in good working order and that any hoses are securely attached and not damaged.
    • Change your canisters in a well-ventilated open space, follow the manufacturer's guidelines carefully and be sure to turn off the supply properly before doing so.

    CAD-001-Cadent-CO-Suitcase-SOCIAL-1x1-(1080x1080)-STATIC-v2.jpg

    Over the summer many of us will be heading off on holiday. There is a chance you might be exposed to carbon monoxide when you are away, whether you’re camping, staying in a cottage, villa, caravan or in a luxury resort you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK and abroad.

    Know the dangers

    When camping, caravanning or boating, despite being out in the fresh air, carbon monoxide can build up to levels that can kill very quickly in enclosed spaces, such as tents and awnings. Boilers in hotels or holiday accommodation could be faulty or poorly maintained so could emit carbon monoxide.

    Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur on boats when emissions from gas-powered engines and generators build up in boat cabins. It's important to make sure they are kept in good condition, checked regularly and areas are well ventilated.

    Holiday safety tips

    • ALWAYS pack an audible carbon monoxide alarm - an alarm is the only way to know if you are in danger.
    • BE AWARE of the signs of unsafe gas appliances:
      • Black marks and stains around the appliance.
      • Lazy orange or yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones.
      • High levels of condensation in your accommodation.
    • NEVER use gas cookers, stoves or BBQs for heating and ensure they are well ventilated when being used.

    If you are on holiday and your CO alarm sounds

    • Open all doors and windows
    • Move outside into fresh air, open windows and get out of the property immediately.
    • If you feel unwell (nausea, dizziness, vomiting or headache) seek immediate medical attention.
    • Alert the landlord or hotel representative.
    • If you are in the UK call the National Gas Emergency number FREE on 0800 111 999* immediately. It’s available 24 hours, 365 days a year. Our experts will tell you what you need to do to until an engineer arrives.

    Your gas boiler will be working even if your heating is off and faulty appliances can release carbon monoxide. Get your gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer every year.

    As carbon monoxide is an odourless gas, it can be difficult to identify the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Installing a carbon monoxide alarm is one way to ensure you’re always alerted to the presence of carbon monoxide, however it’s also important to recognise the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for other illnesses, such as food poisoning or flu and include:

    • Headache
    • Dizziness
    • Breathlessness
    • Nausea or feeling sick
    • Collapse
    • Loss of consciousness

    Anyone who suspects they are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should immediately go outside into the fresh air and seek urgent medical attention.

    incident alert
    1!

    Incidents

    phone

    Smell Gas?

    0800 111 999*

    Aa Accessibility