- New gas main to be installed in Station Road and Tamworth Road, Ashby
- Project will ensure local people continue to enjoy safe and reliable supplies
- One-way system in place while work is under way
Major work gets underway this Saturday (24 March) to install a new gas main in Ashby-de-la-Zouch that will keep local people warm and safe for decades to come.
Local gas network Cadent will be installing a new gas pipe in Station Road and Tamworth Road, from the junction of Wilfred Place to the Maltings industrial estate. The pipe will meet an increase in gas demand in the area and ensure local people continue to enjoy safe and reliable supplies for heating, cooking and fuelling their businesses.
The work is expected to take approximately six weeks and will be split into two phases. To keep staff and road-users safe while the work is under way a one-way system will be in place.
During the first phase the following traffic restrictions will be in place:
- Tamworth Road and Station Road will be made northbound only, from the junction with Avenue Road to Wilfred Place. A diversion will be in place for southbound traffic via Bath Street, Market Street, Wood Street, Nottingham Road, A511 and A42
- Lower Packington Road will be made southbound only between Tamworth Road and Avenue Road
- There will be no parking or waiting in Lower Packington Road, Avenue Road, Tamworth Road and Station Road
- Two-way traffic will be maintained for access only to homes and businesses in Station Road between Wilfred Place and the Railway Bridge.
During phase 2:
- Tamworth Road and Lower Packington Road will be made two-way again and all parking and waiting restrictions will be removed
- Station Road will remain northbound only from the railway bridge to Wilfred Place.
- Temporary traffic lights at the junction of Wilfred Place, Station Road and Bath Street
- No right turn from Wilfred Place into Station Road
- No left turn from Bath Street into Station Road
Cadent Authorising Engineer Mark Allsop said: “Our job is to keep people safe and warm. This new pipe will ensure that people in Ashby have enough gas to heat their homes, cook their food and fuel their businesses all year round, 24/7 whatever the weather brings.
“To keep everyone safe while we do the work there will be a temporary one-way system. We appreciate this may cause disruption but we’d urge people to bear with us while we complete this essential work.”
If anyone has any enquiries about this work they should contact Cadent’s customer services team on 0800 096 5678