- Entries from children at schools in Ravenshead and Solihull win annual competition warning of dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning
- Winners came up with eye catching designs featuring emojis and flames
- MP Barry Sheerman hands out awards to prizewinners at a special ceremony in Westminster
Winners of an annual contest to design posters warning of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide enjoyed a day in Westminster where they received their awards and were treated to a tour of the seat of government.
Open to schoolchildren in key stages 1 and 2 (ages 5 to 11) the annual competition was launched in January. Pupils were asked produce an eye-catching poster, poem or entry in another medium which was both informative and accurate and which warned of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning and how to avoid them. Known as the silent killer Carbon Monoxide is responsible for deaths, illness and hospitalisations each year.
Striking designs from Rae Adey, 10, of Abbey Gates Primary School, Ravenshead, Nottingham and Connie Hollis, 7, from Marston Green Infant Academy, Marston Green, Solihull, were amongst the overall winners for the Cadent Gas Distribution area, with Connie also being crowned national winner for Key Stage One. The overall National Winner for Key Stage Two was Borras Park Community Primary School in Wrexham, where the Year 6 class submitted a video.
Striking designs from Rae Adey, 10, of Abbey Gates Primary School and Connie Hollis, 7, from Marston Green Infant Academy, were chosen at the overall winners.
Rae’s design featured mobile phone style emojis which warn of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning including loss of consciousness, breathlessness, headaches, nausea and dizziness. Connie’s design meanwhile used illustrations of cookers to warn that orange flames from cookers are an indication that carbon monoxide could be leaking.
The two winners and their families along with representatives from their school attended a special ceremony in Westminster on Thursday 29 June.
The visitors were given a tour of the House of Commons before receiving their prizes at a special ceremony hosted by Barry Sheerman, MP, who co-chairs the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group, in Portcullis House.
First launched in 2007 the competition was previously run by charity CO-Gas Safety Gas in partnership with Gas Distribution Networks (GDNs), but this year the GDNs, including Cadent, have taken over the running of the competition.
National winners received £300 for themselves and £600 for their school/organisation. Regional winners received £150 each and £300 for their school or organisations.
Phil Burrows, Cadent Stakeholder Implementation Manager, said: “Every year lives are lost and many people have to be admitted to hospital and suffer health problems because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
“This could be avoided if awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide were better known and people took some simple precautions such as getting their gas appliances checked each year by a Gas Safe registered engineer and having a Carbon Monoxide alarm.”
He added: “I’m delighted that we had so many great entries for this year’s competition.
“It’s been a fun way to both passed the carbon monoxide safety message onto the younger generation and to highlight awareness among all ages.”
For more details on the competition please visit http://bit.ly/COSchoolSafetyComp
More information on gas safety and how to get domestic and commercial appliances checked and installed by qualified engineers is also available at www.gassaferegister.co.uk/