▪ Wacky hat day raises money for brain tumour charity
▪ Fun loving team brimming with ideas
▪ Day capped off with tea served by team leaders
It’s hats off to a team of fun loving employees from National Grid Gas Distribution who raised £400 for charity today (Thursday 13 April).
The Hinckley staff were brimming with novelty ways to look natty in a hat to celebrate Wear A Hat Day. And, they all paid a £1 to wear their creations at work.
To cap it all, team leaders took over a special tea trolley for the event, serving refreshing drinks throughout the day.
The headwear ranged from a simple flat cap to some highly decorated works of art that could grace Ladies Day at Ascot.
The money will help Brain Tumour Research reach its target of raising £7 million a year.
Brain tumours kill more children and adults under the age of 40 than any other cancer, but just one per cent of the national spend on cancer research is directed towards the disease.
Tanya Hutchinson, a National Grid Gas Distribution organiser, said: “You could say everyone threw their hat into the ring to help this very worthwhile charity. People came up with some very original ideas. There was a great display of Easter bonnets. It’s important to have fun at work, and it’s just as important to help others less fortunate. We always try to combine the two."
Notes to editors April 2017
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. This accolade acknowledges all of our efforts in getting involve with the things that really matter to us and to society. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry - 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.