Top ten tips for a warm and safe winter

  • Keep the National Gas Emergency Service number – 0800 111 999* – handy and ring it immediately if you smell gas or suspect a deadly carbon monoxide leak.
  • Keep the number of your gas boiler service contract provider, gas supplier (the company name at the top of your gas bill), or contact details for a Gas Safe Registered engineer to hand in case your gas boiler breaks down or shows an error message. Please don’t call the National Gas Emergency Service – we can’t help and you could be blocking the line for a gas emergency. 
  • Get your gas appliances serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. To find an engineer visit the gas safe register website or ring 0800 408 5500.
  • If the condensate pipe from your boiler freezes this winter, follow this simple advice to thaw it:
    • To thaw frozen boiler pipes, hold a hot water bottle or heat wrap around the pipe
    • Alternatively, pour hot, NOT boiling, water over the frozen end of the pipe
    • If the boiler fires up, it’s fixed. If it doesn’t, pour hot water on the pipe again. If your pipes are still frozen, call your supplier.
  • Join the Priority Services Register. You may eligible for help from your energy company if you have extra communication, access or safety needs. This can include elderly people, those with a chronic illness, people with mental health issues or dementia and those born Deaf. 
  • Buy an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.
  • Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide
  • Call 105 if you have a power cut.
  • Keep a torch handy in case of power cuts.
  • Keep an eye on the weather forecast and if you have loss of gas supply or a power cut check on your neighbours.
work safely library

Useful numbers

  • Smell gas or suspect carbon monoxide? Ring the National Gas Emergency Service 0800 111 999*.
  • To find a Gas Safe registered engineer call on 0800 408 5500 or visit the Gas Safe Register website 
  • Need to know who runs the gas or electricity network in your area? Visit the Energy Networks Association website
  • If you have a powercut, call 105