This press release relates to Cadent work. It does not have Cadent branding on it, due to this press release being published prior to 1st May 2017, when this gas distribution business was part of National Grid’s group of businesses.
National Grid is upgrading nearly 400 metres of ageing gas main in A630 Balby Road, Doncaster. The existing metal main is being replaced with a tough new plastic pipe that will last at least 80 years.
To keep staff and road-users safe, there will be a lane closure in Balby Road from Monday 27 March for six weeks. The lane closure will be in place from Greenfield Lane to Bainbridge Road and will affect traffic heading into Doncaster.
National Grid Authorising Engineer Paul Martin said: “We are investing in a gas mains upgrade that will secure safe and reliable gas supplies for local homes and businesses until the end of the century. This is a complex project but we are asking people to bear with us while we carry out this essential work.
“To keep our staff and road-users safe, we need to install a temporary lane closure. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but it is important that we replace this pipe. Once the new plastic pipe is in the ground it will last for decades and require little or no maintenance.”
For any enquiries about this work people should contact National Grid’s customer services team on 0800 096 5678.
To find out more about National Grid‘s gas mains replacement work go to www.bettergaspipes.co.uk.
Notes to editors - archive
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. This accolade acknowledges all of our efforts in getting involve with the things that really matter to us and to society. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry - 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.